Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Writing prompt: Eavesdropper: Create a poem, short story, or journal entry about a conversation you’ve overheard.

Sometimes I overhear the damndest things on the bus. Some folks just aren't self-conscious at all. I've overheard personal conversations about STDs, people fleeing violent relationship (either side), and two guys sentenced to AA meetings convincing each other to sign their own meeting records and skip the meeting in favor of using some pills one of them had.

The all-time topper, though, wasn't exactly eavesdropping. I was on a westbound #10 bus here in Columbus one afternoon with a passenger who was trying to sell anyone a prescription written to him for pain medicine. He addressed the entire bus seeking a buyer. I don't know if he wanted the money for a different drug or something else, but he must not have been worried about being arrested for that. He left the bus with another man, and I guess he sold his script. The risk of that takes my breath away, but I guess addicts do what they have to do.

(Prompt from https://thinkwritten.com/365-creative-writing-prompts/)

No comments:

Post a Comment